Phew! It has been one crazy week at my house! With home renovations, and working on lots of orders for cupcakes, cookies, and cakes! I love it though, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love me some organized chaos! I feel so blessed to do what I love! Tomorrow I’m doing baby shower cupcakes, Saturday I’m doing a two tier cake and Sunday I’m doing more cookies!
Continuing with bread basics, here is another one of my favorite recipes for you. These are outstanding rolls or buns wonderful for sandwiches like pulled bbq pork sandwiches or grilled honey mustard chicken sandwiches, or any and every kind of sandwich!
If you aren’t familiar or comfortable working with yeast you may want to check out my tutorial on working with yeast, Yeast 101.
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1 packet active dry yeast
2 tbsp. white sugar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 cups flour
1. In a large bowl, stir together the water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until creamy 5-10 minutes.
2. To the yeast mixture, add the oil, salt and 2 cups of flour and combine until a dough forms.
3. Stir in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Knead the dough. Using the dough hook of your mixer, knead for about 6 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. If kneading by hand, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
5. Lightly oil a large boil and add the dough, turning to coat all sides with the oil.
6. Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm dark place and allow dough to rise for about 1 hour.
7. After the dough has risen, deflate it by gently punching it down in the bowl.
8. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and separate into 12 pieces, forming them into round balls.
9. Place dough balls on a non-stick baking sheet at least two inches apart and cover with a damp cloth. Place in a warm dark place and allow to rise for about 40 more minutes.
10. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
11. After second rising, bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 14-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
*Note* You can also roll these into 24 rolls to make perfect sliders!
You might also like: